OSLO, Norway – May 18, 2022
Vivaldi, the first browser on Android Automotive OS, now arrives in the OpenR Link system of new Renault cars, like Megane E-Tech Electric and All-New Austral. The fully-featured browser offers a feel-at-home experience even behind the wheels. People can watch, shop, and browse all from the comfort of the driver’s seat without having to pick up a smartphone or tablet. To ensure the safety of the drivers and passengers, the browser can be used only when the car is parked.
Drivers will be able to easily install the browser from OpenR Link, an infotainment system by Renault in their new Megane E-Tech Electric and All-New Austral, as well as future cars from the French manufacturer equipped with OpenR Link system.
Steering new browsing experiences at work, at home, and in cars, Vivaldi’s first outing in the automotive world was in Polestar 2 launched in December 2021.
The future of browsing in cars is exciting. We are thrilled to bring Vivaldi in the new Renault Megane E-Tech Electric, the All-Austral and in all future cars with OpenR Link system. This is a powerful example of how we want to give a smart browser to the automobility sector, providing the driver and passengers with a completely new in-car-connected browsing experience,Vivaldi CEO Jon von Tetzchner says.
A tour de force in flexibility and privacy.
Both Vivaldi and Renault share similar goals in creating breakthrough in-car experiences.
Renault has developed this partnership aimed at enriching the experience on board of its new vehicles equipped with the OpenR Link system. Its new connected, intuitive, and fully customizable infotainment interface offers the best of technology to provide accessible and user-friendly applications and services, as well as an always up-to-date system. It offers as well an unprecedented connected experience, totally similar to that of a smartphone or tablet, and can be controlled with the fingers or with the voice thanks to voice recognition.
Vivaldi’s unique visual appeal puts focus on ease of use and flexibility. It continues to adapt to people’s needs and offers them powerful features including a built-in ad blocker, tracking protection, a privacy-friendly translation tool, tabbed browsing, notes function, and encrypted sync functionality.
As Vivaldi keeps user privacy first, people can be assured that they can browse privately in Renault cars with OpenR Link system with their data not being stored by the car. When logged into a Vivaldi account, browsing data may be shared between other devices logged into the same account. This data is not shared even with Renault.
Spend a lot of time in the car? Turn it into a command center for work.
Many people work in their browsers all day long. Being on the road in Renault’s next-generation cars with OpenR Link will allow people to turn their car into a command center for work with Vivaldi’s extensive functionality. Plus, charging stops and waiting hours turn more productive and fun.
- Stay connected, never miss a meeting: Take video calls from the driver’s seat, and set up access to the go-to web apps.
- Stream your favorites: Access streaming services easily, without the need for third-party apps. To ensure safety, the browser is functional only when parked. Streaming content will continue audio-only if driving commences.
- Start from where you left off: Sync browser data safely across different devices synced to Vivaldi on phones, tablets, Chromebooks, and computers.
- Manage multiple web pages: Combine multiple tabs in groups, and view them in Vivaldi’s unique two rows of tabs – a brilliant way to keep all tabs in a single window.
- Access bookmarks faster: Add bookmarks as Speed Dials on the new tab page and get sites with just one tap.
- Type notes quickly: Jot down ideas and inspiration with the help of notes in the browser’s sidebar
- Add a pop of color: Browse beyond dark and light themes, and choose any color in the browser’s ultra-customizable user interface.
- Leisure galore: Turn long wait hours into enjoyable ones with games including Vivaldi’s built-in game Vivaldia and more.
How to get Vivaldi on Renault Megane E-Tech Electric and All-New Austral
The Vivaldi browser app will be available in the Renault Megane E-Tech Electric and All-New Austral in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK. Renault drivers can simply install the browser via MY Renault app.
Vivaldi for Android Automotive OS will receive regular updates alongside its other supported platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android).
Vivaldi, launched in 2016, is a flexible, fully customizable browser that adapts to its users and offers more features than any other modern browser.
Vivaldi’s core mission is to build the most feature-packed, customizable browser, and they have two ground rules: privacy is a default, and everything’s an option. In practice, this means building software that protects users’ privacy but also does not track how they use it. Vivaldi believes private and secure software should be the rule, not the exception.
Renault, a historic mobility brand and pioneer of electric vehicles in Europe, has always developed innovative vehicles. With the ‘Renaulution’ strategic plan, Renault has embarked on an ambitious, value-generating transformation moving towards a more competitive, balanced, and electrified range. Its ambition is to embody modernity and innovation in technology, energy, and mobility services in the automotive industry and beyond.
For inquiries regarding Renault:
Amélie Zorga – Press Officer
+33 6 78 72 00 24