Vivaldi 5.2 is here. Exactly 6 years ago, we launched the first version of Vivaldi.
We started out building a browser that will adapt to your needs. And we’ve stuck to it. Over the years, we’ve created a wealth of built-in features that you won’t find in many, if any, other browsers.
We thrive on giving you options, so you’re never more than a click or keyboard shortcut away from what you’re trying to accomplish.
And this latest version stays true to our roots.
The Reading List Panel lets you view and manage the stories you wish to read, from the browser’s sidebar. And, now that we have included Reading List on our Android version, you can sync your Reading Lists across multiple devices.
Because your privacy is as precious to us as it is to you, we’ve added a Privacy Statistics Bar in the Start Page of the browser. It provides information on the number of trackers and ads that Vivaldi has blocked, preventing them from profiling you. Having visibility on these details will help you make informed decisions about your browsing.
For these new features and improvements, download Vivaldi 5.2, available on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
In addition, our new version on Android, also launched today, includes a host of features, including a Reading List, Translate Panel, and various other improvements.
Bon voyage! Get your Reading List ready in Vivaldi’s sidebar.
Not long ago, we introduced the Reading List in the Address Bar, which allows you to save pages that you want to read later. Since the Reading List is built-in, you can use it immediately – no service signup is required.
Now, we elevate your reading experience with the new Reading List Panel.
You can view and manage the stories you wish to read from the browser’s trendsetting slide-out sidebar (Panel).
Look for the book icon representing the Reading List in the Panel, which is also home to useful tools including Bookmarks, Downloads, History, Notes, Window Panel, Translate, and Web Panels. Having all these tools in the sidebar menu helps you quickly open, close, and toggle between different panels.
The Reading List Panel offers plenty of perks:
- Manage lists intuitively: With a double-click on the selected item, the corresponding page opens in a new tab instantly. Clicking the minus (-) button removes an item from the current list, while the plus (+) button adds a new one. Clicking the eye button marks the saved page as unread or read.
- Search and filter easily: The search bar in the Panel can help filter the Reading List, recognizing URLs and words in the page’s title.
- Sort and organize efficiently: The sort menu reorders the list by the title, read status, date updated, or address.
Additionally, you can use the right-click menu to open the selected item (in a new tab), copy its address, mark the entry as read, or remove the saved item from the list.
You can still access the Reading List from the book icon at the extreme right of the Address Bar (when enabled), use the new Reading List Panel instead, or use both if you prefer.
Sync to tune your Reading List. Now even on-the-go.
Having a Reading List is great, but syncing it across devices is a bonus.
Now you can enjoy reading on your desktop and sync your reading progress even on-the-go across all your synced devices. As Vivaldi on Android phones, tablets, Chromebooks now has a Reading List, the articles you save on your phone can be viewed on your computer or the other way around. Read more.
Using Sync is secure and easy. Just sign in with a Vivaldi Account to securely synchronize your data with end-to-end encryption across multiple devices including cars. For the uninitiated, Vivaldi is the first and only browser for Android Automotive OS currently available in Polestar cars.
How many trackers and ads actually follow you? Privacy Statistics gives a reality check.
According to research, 87 percent of the world’s most popular web domains engage in digital tracking. And this is getting worse by the day.
Fortunately, our Ad and Tracker Blocker helps give you control over what personal data websites can track and store on you.
In this version, you’ll actually see the number of ads and trackers blocked from following you, displayed right at the entry point of the Start Page itself.
Until now, you could see the Ad and Tracker Blocker statistics per site per visit when clicking on the shield icon on the Address Bar.
But here’s the eye-opener! The new Privacy Statistics Bar from this new version shows the collective tracking information of all the trackers and ads. This not only builds awareness about the massive level of tracking prevalent today, but also helps you make informed decisions about your browsing.
For a detailed overview of the summary, click on ‘more information’ on the Privacy Statistics Bar. The information page provides three features:
- A per website breakdown for trackers and ads
- A per “tracker company” breakdown
- A reset of your cumulative privacy statistics.
You can toggle the visibility of privacy statistics from the Start Page’s quick settings at the top-right corner or from Settings → Start Page → Speed Dial.
There’s always more!
Along with improvements across the board, you’ll notice some nice additions:
- Qwant, the privacy search is back: As a company that has always championed your right to privacy, we like to provide people with more choices when it comes to search – including a way to opt-out of search engines that profit from your private data, without sacrificing search-result quality.
By popular demand, we’ve brought back the privacy-focused search Qwant as one of our defaults. So now you have another integrated option in our list of default search engines to choose from. Head to the Settings > Search and choose your favorite search engine.
- Faster tab dragging: We love tabs. So we’ve tinkered with the internal workings and polished some rough edges there, making the drag and drop of tabs faster, and smoother.
- Vivaldi Mail, Calendar, and Feed Reader (beta): We have been very busy here, tweaking and tuning across a range of areas.
We hope this latest version makes you smile. Your feedback matters. So, take Vivaldi 5.2 for a spin and let us know what you think. For more details, head over to the changelog.
Changelog from Vivaldi 5.1 to 5.2
- [New][Blocker][Speed Dial] Show cumulative privacy statistics (VB-86162)
- [New][Reading List][Panels] Add a Panel (VB-86282)
- [New][Search] Add privacy focussed search engine Qwant, for certain countries (VB-87910)
- [New][Tabs] Improve tab dragging user experience (VB-86295)
- [Address Bar] Lost typing in the URL field (VB-86199)
- [Address bar] Displays search icon with search disabled (VB-86593)
- [Address bar] The URL field will lose the text selection with a custom start page (VB-87267)
- [Address bar] Unable to press Shift+Del to delete items in the “typed history” (VB-86718)
- [Address bar][Menus] “Copy without parameters” omits the last character (VB-86635)
- [Blocker] Dialog background size issue on smaller screens (VB-86521)
- [Bookmarks] Icons without titles on the bookmark bar are not centered (VB-85976)
- [Bookmarks] Import button in manager does nothing (VB-87585)
- [Bookmarks] Info inconsistency on Bookmark Bar Display setting (VB-86591)
- [Bookmarks] Remove NHK, 7-net, recochoku bookmarks (VB-87161)
- [Bookmarks] Remove Yandex.Games and Yandex.Market (VB-87201)
- [Bookmarks] Show “Added bookmark” even if the address field is hidden (VB-86989)
- [Chromium] Upgraded to 100.0.4896.81
- [Command Chains] Change default order (VB-86724)
- [Command chains][Keyboard][Gestures] Fails before restart (VB-85590)
- [Commands][Tabs] Add position commands (VB-87214)
- [Crash] when closing tab with onbeforeunload dialog (VB-86640)
- [Downloads] Ability to resize download popup vertically (VB-84837)
- [Drag and Drop] From file manager to the window does nothing in some cases (VB-2583)
- [Drag and Drop][Tabs] Drag image doesn’t work anymore (VB-86607)
- [Extensions] Popup does not update size when document loads (VB-87162)
- [Extensions] chrome.sessions.getRecentlyClosed says chrome.sessions.MAX_SESSION_RESULTS is too large (VB-87576)
- [Extensions][Address bar] Incorrect focus on Extensions in dropdown (VB-87893)
- [Extensions][Themes] Chromium logo displayed on extensions page when OS theme is dark (VB-87843)
- [History] Scroll bar hides numbers in week view (VB-85552)
- [Languages] No Kabyle language in the list of accepted languages (VB-87488)
- [Linux] Focus not in website after leaving video fullscreen (VB-83626)
- [Linux][Media] Change proprietary codecs to 101.0.4951.15-106454 (VB-87445)
- [Notes] Checkmarks in checkboxes not displayed anymore (VB-87404)
- [Notes] Make it easier to create new note in Notes Manager (VB-87674)
- [Notes] The “Open in Tab” button in the panel does not work (VB-86932)
- [Panels] Make panels easier to hide/close (VB-87797)
- [Popout Video] PIP button not appearing on videos on france.tv (VB-84385)
- [Profiles] “Manage people” popup doesn’t use profile info (VB-77729)
- [Quick Commands] Add support for filtering words (VB-75763)
- [Quick Commands] Filtering should allow to filter extension (VB-87610)
- [Quick Commands] Filtering should select the appropriate item (VB-87609)
- [Quick Commands] Hint Suggestion is broken when filtering (VB-87713)
- [Quick Commands] History doesn’t do a full search (VB-87532)
- [Reading List] Add an unread counter and show it in the icon and panel (VB-86652)
- [Reading List] Add multiple selected tabs at once with dialog or shortcut (VB-86403)
- [Reading List] Not working properly with a youtube video (VB-86759)
- [Reading List][Menus] Add link context menu (VB-86401)
- [Reading List][Panel] Add button is active on internal pages (VB-86720)
- [Reading List][Quick Commands] Add Reading List (VB-86755)
- [Settings] Can not display long title correctly when “show tab bar” is unchecked (VB-87096)
- [Settings] Rename “Crypto Token” setting and confirm its change (VB-86388)
- [Settings] Use a smaller amount of border-radius on checkboxes (VB-87389)
- [Settings][Command chains] Wrong item displayed (VB-87630)
- [Speed Dial] Add Qwant for France/Germany/Italy (VB-87911)
- [Speed Dial] Add “Open full browser settings” button to Quick Settings (VB-86987)
- [Speed Dial] Make it possible to change the default search from the no Google dialog (VB-86420)
- [Speed Dial] Search dropdown under privacy dialog (VB-87282)
- [Speed Dial] Start page settings are covered by search field in a narrow view (VB-87347)
- [Speed Dial] UI fixes for Quick Settings (VB-87119)
- [Speed Dial] Unnecessary “Site info” tooltip (VB-86887)
- [Speed Dial][Settings] Show ‘Add’ button Should be Title Case (VB-84781)
- [Tabs][Keyboard] Selection by keyboard shortcut issue (VB-70433)
- [Tabs] Selection outline is uneven (VB-79907)
- [Tabs][Quick Commands] You can pin a tab inside a stack through quick command (VB-29302)
- [Themes] Clean up Razer integration with the new theme system (VB-87484)
- [Themes] Improve contrast and appearance of checkboxes and radio buttons (VB-86799)
- [Themes] Improve contrast for selected data in the tree view (VB-86611)
- [Themes][Tabs][Panel] Vertical pinned tabs covered floating panel if Blur=0 (VB-86782)
- [Translate] Breaks gog.com newsletters (VB-84232)
- [UI] Avoid white flash on startup (VB-87263)
- [Update Dialog] Inform users which version number they will update to (VB-86453)
- [Window management] “Open Link in Another Window” produces unexpected behavior (VB-86869)
- [Windows] Moving a tab to new window does not open in a maximized window (VB-20038)
- [Windows] Support saving and restoring windows on the correct virtual desktop [workspace] (VB-86037)
- [Windows][Media] Video issues for some users (VB-87590)
- [Windows][Settings][Themes] Eyedropper in color picker in Theme Editor does not work (VB-85018)
- [macOS] Missing white border on top of the window (VB-76917)
- [macOS][Tabs] Align Trash icon with profile and extensions icons (VB-87003)
- [macOS][Update] Update sparkle library to 2.1.0 (VB-86831)
- [Calendar Beta] Add button to open Calendar from panel (VB-87670)
- [Calendar Beta] Add a description to clarify the purpose of Calendar Accounts (VB-87900)
- [Calendar Beta] Agenda panel doesn’t display events past midnight correctly (VB-73520)
- [Calendar Beta] Agenda view does not allow changes (VB-86599)
- [Calendar Beta] All day events misaligned in week view (VB-87362)
- [Calendar Beta] All day not set when syncing task (VB-86657)
- [Calendar Beta] Calendar selector button bad text alignment (VB-83649)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not add a task from agenda view by clicking when “Select Period” is chosen (VB-87083)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not create calendar from dialog (VB-86500)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not hide Google task lists (VB-81062)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not remove event reminder (VB-86377)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not sync all-day task complete (VB-86789)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not use enter to create an event after marking a task done (VB-86807)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not add web calendar events (VB-87698)
- [Calendar Beta] Change Layout → View (VB-87683)
- [Calendar Beta] Clicking task in Agenda moves the calendar to January 1970 (VB-86512)
- [Calendar Beta] Color is set as #4c70f0 regardless of pre-assigned color (VB-86354)
- [Calendar Beta] Colour picker has a useless dropdown selector (VB-83723)
- [Calendar Beta] Copying an external event retains organizer (VB-84318)
- [Calendar Beta] Current day marker shows for any year (VB-66888)
- [Calendar Beta] Date is too close to the edge (VB-87190)
- [Calendar Beta] Deleting a single occurrence of a repeating event still triggers notification (VB-86861)
- [Calendar Beta] Difficult to spot if the black calendar is selected (VB-71548)
- [Calendar Beta] Drag to resize inconsistent with drag to create (VB-87356)
- [Calendar Beta] Editor is transparent in Day View (VB-87283)
- [Calendar Beta] Event editor does not popup when making multi-week events (VB-86866)
- [Calendar Beta] Events created offline are never synced (VB-80862)
- [Calendar Beta] Improved contrast for Current Day / Time marker (VB-87360)
- [Calendar Beta] Incorrect focus on Calendar dropdown menu (VB-87890)
- [Calendar Beta] Multi-day events that span two lines are not highlighted correctly (VB-86864)
- [Calendar Beta] Multi-day events don’t get a proper outline (VB-87573)
- [Calendar Beta] Navigate through months in week view in the panel (VB-73753)
- [Calendar Beta] New event thrown away when changing time (VB-87872)
- [Calendar Beta] Notifications for all-day events are not so useful (VB-86225)
- [Calendar Beta] Option to create a new calendar during import added (VB-87010)
- [Calendar Beta] Pop up window calendar disappears while changing tabs (VB-87647)
- [Calendar Beta] Show Calendars full color as indented stroke (Day & Week) (VB-87640)
- [Calendar Beta] Simplify default calendar handling (VB-86071)
- [Calendar Beta] Support toggling of event property task (VB-87712)
- [Calendar Beta] Trying to screenshot while adding a Calendar event, creates a series of them (VB-80900)
- [Calendar Beta] Unify and clean up Attendee status icons (VB-87465)
- [Calendar Beta] Unknown format after adding CalDAV calendar: better validation and fallback (VB-80408)
- [Calendar Beta] Upcoming events show trashed events (VB-86941)
- [Calendar Beta] Update broken due to the unused due field (VB-87836)
- [Calendar Beta] Wrong color when dragging to resize event (VB-87834)
- [Calendar Beta] Year button is clickable but does nothing (VB-86682)
- [Calendar Beta] welcome dialog not shown during the first run (VB-86595)
- [Calendar Beta] will not open if at least one tab is not open (VB-86827)
- [Calendar Beta][Crash] When clicking on a task in taskbar to the right in agenda view (VB-86804)
- [Feeds Beta] Titles in the feeds panel can get mangled (VB-87380)
- [Feeds Beta][Keyboard][Commands][Panels] No shortcuts or command (VB-84539)
- [Feeds Beta][Panel] Opening a feed opens mail panel’s unread instead (VB-87326)
- [Mail Beta] Add support for the User-Agent header but allow the user to disable it (VB-1767)
- [Mail Beta] Add the ability to create IMAP folders: delete and rename not yet implemented (VB-24537)
- [Mail Beta] Adding a Yahoo account does not work (VB-87294)
- [Mail Beta] Align close button inside multi-input elements (VB-87160)
- [Mail Beta] Body missing when opening draft (VB-87798)
- [Mail Beta] Cannot import more from Opera 12 account (VB-85851)
- [Mail Beta] Changing mail account to offline seems to not take effect immediately (VB-84728)
- [Mail Beta] Create a separate process for mail background work (VB-75952)
- [Mail Beta] Create link box looks bad (VB-83310)
- [Mail Beta] Displaying emails to/from contact includes (lots of) irrelevant emails (VB-87138)
- [Mail Beta] Do not bold unread subject in mail-detail-header (VB-87694)
- [Mail Beta] Double scrollbars (VB-87530)
- [Mail Beta] Drafts not possible to create or edit (VB-85187)
- [Mail Beta] Extra line breaks before and after signature (VB-87865)
- [Mail Beta] Filtering optimizations – query filters (VB-87327)
- [Mail Beta] Filters running indefinitely (VB-86996)
- [Mail Beta] HTML mail signature replacement and signature delete on reply not perfect (VB-71106)
- [Mail Beta] IMAP Inbox paths are not case sensitive (VB-77181)
- [Mail Beta] Implement setting to render plaintext (VB-25397)
- [Mail Beta] Importing an IMAP account from Opera Mail doesn’t import the “Prefetch full messages” setting for the account (VB-77762)
- [Mail Beta] Incorrect counter in panel & status bar on startup (VB-87726)
- [Mail Beta] Incorrect focus outline for signature (VB-87729)
- [Mail Beta] Is prefetching already imported bodies (VB-81283)
- [Mail Beta] List doubled on indexing new account (VB-87919)
- [Mail Beta] Make Send button easier to find (add text label) (VB-86733)
- [Mail Beta] Make senders name bolder when message is Unread (VB-87833)
- [Mail Beta] Manual setup of accounts can lead to messages not sent, but put in sent folder (f.x. Fastmail) (VB-86529)
- [Mail Beta] Mark read/unread button not working (VB-87553)
- [Mail Beta] Marking [flagging] a mail not possible (VB-87393)
- [Mail Beta] Marking unread on sent to self also marks the sent message unread (VB-74321)
- [Mail Beta] Messages sometimes show up twice (VB-87507)
- [Mail Beta] Might switch to a different profile window that does not have mail configured (VB-87828)
- [Mail Beta] Missing signature when composing a new message and “Place signature at the top” enabled (VB-87877)
- [Mail Beta] No way to add an image in signature (VB-59838)
- [Mail Beta] Only show fetching message on root folder when it’s closed (VB-87646)
- [Mail Beta] Opens in two windows (VB-87691)
- [Mail Beta] Removing an account does not remove its custom-folder filters from db (VB-86429)
- [Mail Beta] Saved filters slow everything down to a crawl (VB-87645)
- [Mail Beta] Selecting folder does not clear search (VB-86180)
- [Mail Beta] Show mail button should open mail with all three columns without the side panel (VB-80186)
- [Mail Beta] Signature should be applied above the quoted history in a reply composer (VB-69065)
- [Mail Beta] Texts in the folder view loses alignment as the width of the view gets shortened (VB-86612)
- [Mail Beta] Thread indentation should stop at 5 (VB-67491)
- [Mail Beta] UTF-7 encoded message body not decoded correctly (VB-84218)
- [Mail Beta] Unify background color for mail list and tweak vertical list details (VB-87485)
- [Mail Beta] Unseen / unread counter should keep the default color (VB-87735)
- [Mail Beta] No hint that HTML can be used in signature (VB-74116)
- [Mail Beta] Panel progress indicators are misleading and sometimes wrong (VB-86501)
- [Mail Beta] “From” name incorrectly displayed when the e-mail is the same but the name differs (VB-75707)
- [Mail Beta][Import] Progress indicator missing for syncing after import (VB-86823)
- [Mail Beta][Keyboard] Show keyboard shortcuts in Tooltips for Mail Toolbar (VB-87025)
- [Mail Beta][OAuth] I get prompted to enter my Outlook password again the next day (VB-84230)
- [Mail Beta][Panel][Settings] Automatic doesn’t work with shortcuts (VB-87461)
- [Mail Beta][Panel][Settings] Doesn’t open automatically when global floating panels are enabled (VB-87337)
- [Mail Beta][Quick Commands][Keyboard] Opening Tabs from Mail windows should respect modifier keys (VB-87791)