Vivaldi 2.9, the new desktop version of the Vivaldi browser has arrived. You can now access features quicker with the enhanced Vivaldi Menu. You can also put a stop to unwanted website notifications. In addition to this, you’ll find the overall performance snappier and can run audio and video more smoothly.
What’s on the Menu?
If you are on Windows or Linux, you can set the Vivaldi Menu just the way you want – as the Vivaldi icon, or set it horizontally across the top of the window. You can even choose the menu style icon, adding more flair to it. Simply go to Settings > Appearance > Menu.
In this new version, we have touched quite a bit upon the Vivaldi Menu enhancing its structure even more. Adding more options and flexibility to it, you can access your preferred features more intuitively and much faster.
Many users prefer to access important functionality using the Menu Bar. And with this release, keyboard navigation and mouse handling of the menus have been improved tremendously.
Here are the new elements that have been added to the Vivaldi Menu:
- Web Panels: You can now access your custom Web Panels through the top menu. This means easy access to the sites you’ve added to Vivaldi’s sidebar, letting you stay abreast of your social media channels, news feeds and more.
- Show Tab Bar: Access your tab bar with just a simple click, or even hide it for more real estate.
- Bookmarks: When you view a Bookmark listed in the Vivaldi Menu, you can now right-click it to access a context menu and perform different actions with it.
- Report a bug: Report a bug directly from the Help menu.
Set global default site permissions
Notifications appearing on your screen from random sites sometimes (or most of the time) feel invasive and unwanted.
Of course, you can always dismiss these notifications one by one, or adjust site permissions on a per-site basis.
But we wanted to go a little further and give you a way to snuff out these annoying interruptions. You can now set global default preferences for requests based on sound, geolocation, camera, microphone, motion sensors, Bluetooth devices, and Pop-ups.
They can be easily controlled from Settings > Web Pages > Default Permissions.
Here’s more in Vivaldi 2.9
- Video improvements for macOS: This version brings in significant progress in fixing some HTML5 video issues, where videos would not play in the older machines.
- Better performance: Our ongoing work on improving overall performance includes updating some components. Opening and closing of tabs feels much snappier resulting in an improved speed.
- Improved usability for users in CJK (China, Japan, and Korea) countries: We’ve got a lot of love from Japan and, in fact, it has been our top country in browser usage from the start. We continue to resolve any issues that are stumbling blocks for our users. This version fixes some difficult IME (Input Method Editor) issues in the Address Bar. You can now browse without difficulty using the dropdown menu or even typing a Korean letter twice in the Address Field.
Vivaldi 2.9 is ready to be given a spin. Download now and let us know where we can improve. We are always looking out for your valuable feedback. And if you like to go through the minute details of improvements, then check out the full changelog below.
Updated 31 October 2019, 14:30: We have noticed that Vivaldi crashes for a small number of users that use Symantec Endpoint Protection. We are working on a fix that will come out very soon.
Updated 1 Nov 2019, 11:15: This update resolves an issue where Vivaldi could crash on startup if Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is installed with the Application Control feature – details here.
- [Cookies] Page prevented from using cookies dialogue (VB-22928)
- [Menus] Add a link to the bug report wizard from help menu (VB-12835)
- [Menus] Add web panels to View menu (VB-50286)
- [Menus] Alt + ‘letter with a diacritics’ does not open items (VB-12688)
- [Menus] Let F10 and Alt toggle focus (VB-58586)
- [Menus] Show Tab bar in View menu (VB-33425)
- [Menus][Accessibility] Make available letters for menu accelerators case sensitive (VB-58985)
- [Menus][Bookmarks] Edit/Add Bookmark/Add Folder missing from bookmark context menu (VB-50909)
- [Menus][Bookmarks] Empty directory missing “Add Active Tab” menu item (VB-58682)
- [Menus][Keyboard] Add F10 support (Focus Main Menu) for Vivaldi menu (VB-57596)
- [Menus][Themes] Move background image from tab bar to window so that it also includes the horizontal menu (VB-37886)
- [New][Settings] Options to globally block site permissions: “Menu → Tools → Settings → Webpages → Default Permissions” (VB-58931)
- Searching with another search engine than default has wrong favicons in drop down (VB-58450)
- [Regression] Search string becomes incomplete if it matches a bookmark nickname (VB-58642)
- [Regression] The URL field in new tab clears if the tab is switched (VB-57553)
- Autocomplete doesn’t match on history item titles (VB-57769)
- [IME] Cannot go through dropdown suggestions after confirming input (VB-57896)
- [IME] It is impossible to use same Korean letter in address bar (VB-58049)
- [Regression] Autocomplete from bookmark nickname can write nickname itself (VB-57483)
- [Regression] Clicking address field makes selected URL disappear (VB-57486)
- [Search] Dialogue doesn’t close if you click the choose search engine button (VB-52599)
- [Search] site: search restriction (VB-57702)
- [macOS][Linux][Regression] Path to local directory treated as search query (VB-57353)
- [Panels][Crash][Regression] Bookmark panel crash (VB-58221)
- [Regression] Can’t create bookmark with Enter (VB-55841)
- [Regression] Editor is not updated after deleting bookmarks from trash (VB-56360)
- [Regression] Folders are not sorted separately in menu (VB-57652)
- [Regression] Ctrl+R reloads webpage and closes Developer Tools (VB-56590)
- Pressing Esc may affect ajax requests (VB-58166)
- [macOS] Crash when undocking (or opening undocked) (VB-48293)
- Can’t query selected tabs with chrome.tabs.query webextension API like in Firefox and Chrome (VB-56501)
- Tab status is not correct for when loading as pending content (VB-44228)
- Volume Master extension does not work (VB-38661)
- A warning is displayed on install via zypper/OpenSUSE
- Make proprietary media (H.264/AAC) support more reliable (VB-59143)
- Vivaldi does not offer to make itself the default browser (VB-56921)
- Vivaldi becomes UI-less after opening a tab in fullscreen (VB-58176)
- Proprietary media playback broken on older Macs (VB-55187)
- Unreachable controls in fullscreen popup window (VB-44439)
- Vivaldi has two “Quit Vivaldi” commands (VB-57532)
- Clicking the Vivaldi menu two times does not close the menu (VB-23779)
- Double-clicking anywhere in horizontal menu bar toggles window maximized (VB-57570)
- Horizontal – with a too long list, items to the right cannot be selected (VB-57293)
- [Linux] Alt opens menu, but will not close it (VB-39080)
- Prevent menu from obscuring status bar button (VB-58631)
- Show Tab bar in View menu (VB-33425)
- Wrong shortcuts displayed on view menu (VB-54907)
- [Accessibility] Make available letters for menu accelerators case sensitive (VB-58985)
- [Gestures][macOS] Add “Focus Main Menu” command (VB-57550)
- [Keyboard] Add F10 support (Focus Main Menu) for Vivaldi menu (VB-57596)
- [Regression] Two menubar buttons can be selected (VB-59193)
- [Themes] Move background image from tab bar to window so that it also includes the horizontal menu (VB-37886)
- [Panels] Auto-close causes attachment not to complete successfully (VB-58364)
- [Sync] Set the proper creation time (VB-57496)
- Resizing Bookmarks Panel editor flashes (VB-58540)
- Does not hide on touch (VB-58517)
- Hidden sorting icon in narrow view (VB-46527)
- Sidebar should also be floating along with the panel (VB-42338)
- [Regression] Previously typed web panel gets added when you try to add a new one (VB-57499)
- [macOS] Fullscreen toolbars covered by floating panel (VB-59173)
- Calculator can copy inexact number (infinite decimal) to clipboard (VB-57487)
- Make ‘Create Note’ respect settings (VB-57734)
- Cannot cut and paste folders and entries on the start page (VB-53749)
- No more alpha on icons (VB-57890)
- Preserve thumbnail ratio (VB-57990)
- Search button missing from search field (VB-57646)
- [Regression] Search field opens dropdown in wrong direction (VB-58752)
- [Crash] Browser crashes when closing certain websites (VB-54874)
- [Performance] Various performance improvements, including a limit on overflow tab animation (VB-52682)
- [Profile Manager] Deleting profile makes Vivaldi unstable (VB-57771)
- [Sync] Typed whitespace around the username should be trimmed to avoid login issues (VB-58328)
- [Sync][Crash] Vivaldi crashes when trying to authenticate (VB-55979)
- [Tabs][Regression] Thumbnail does not display in some cases (VB-58069)
- [Themes][Regression] Editor colors don’t update when selecting another theme (VB-49541)
- [Themes][Regression] Low contrast in dialogs and settings for some themes (VB-57686)
- [Windows] Razer Chroma popup and Default browser popup overlap (VB-56898)
- [Reader] Line breaks in children of pre elements are ignored (VB-38035)
- [Regression] Find-in-page affects new pages too (VB-57748)
- [Search] Using a search engine with no Suggest URL, Vivaldi will show other engines last history (VB-54949)
- [Windows][Linux] Disabled shortcuts are shown in menu (VB-50948)
- [Windows][Linux] Icons in dark menus are invisible (VB-59064)
- “Add search engine” dialog disappears after mouse-selecting default name (VB-56290)
- Page Flash with multiple tabs (VB-33286)
- Scaled displays does not work with “Styled find in page” (VB-54590)
- Sensors permission popup needs improvement (VB-50904)
- Tab drag image is scaled by device screen resolution (VB-58597)
- Upgraded Chromium to 78.0.3904.72