Read this article in Deutsch, Pусский, 日本語.
Our new version — Vivaldi 4.3 — ticks the checkboxes of privacy and useful features that will help you make informed decisions and get work done faster.
The refreshed Capture feature lets you resize your screenshot images, while a visually enhanced Download Panel helps you track the speed of your downloads upfront.
The improved Sync functionality will help you access your data across computers and Android devices by using your Vivaldi account — securely and more efficiently than before.
Because your privacy matters to us, the controversial Idle Detection API — another privacy-invasive feature from Google — is now disabled by default. We’ve also added privacy-friendly reasons for you to use Vivaldi Mail and Calendar (Beta).
Our built-in Vivaldi Translate, powered by Lingvanex, now has 68 new languages, taking the total number of languages to 108, allowing millions to access the web in their preferred language. Additionally, we’ve added the much-requested support for Progressive Web Apps (PWA).
Packed with improvements and new additions across the board, you can now download Vivaldi 4.3 on Windows, Linux, macOS.
Our Android update also launches today, including a new Tab Stack Toolbar, added language support to Translate, and a revamped Sync UI.
Hello 👋, new, improved Capture.
Instead of sending a URL to share something interesting on a page or having to go through a long process of taking, saving, editing, and only then sending a screenshot, we gave you the built-in Capture feature – and multiple ways of working with it.
Over time, this functionality has become very popular, whether you are trying to nail a customer report or screenshot a funny meme. With Capture, you can snap a selected area of the screen in a jiffy. You can also take a screenshot of the entire page even outside of the viewable area, unique to Vivaldi.
Now we’ve improved it so that you have a more efficient tool to communicate. Capture has an oh-so-cool revamped look with new icons to explain better how everything works. We’ve added the frequently requested resize option, too, so you can get perfect screenshots the first time, every time.
Capture is easily accessed from the Status Bar via the camera icon and can also be activated using Keyboard Shortcuts, Quick Commands, and Mouse Gestures.
Go on, Sync it up with an improved UI.
Your browsing data is our priority, we want to keep it safe, and our end-to-end encrypted Sync helps us do that.
New to Sync? We believe that everything that you store in your browser belongs to you. Access Sync with these instructions.
With Vivaldi Sync, you can seamlessly and securely synchronize your content and settings between multiple computers and Android devices.
Building on this powerful functionality, we’ve made it easier for you to set it up. Now more intuitive, the revamped Sync is polished with icons and colors that draw your attention to key features and options and improves account setup and recovery.
Download the backup encryption key in Sync settings and store it in a safe location for peace of mind. If you ever forget the encryption password, you can simply use the backup key to decrypt your synced data.
The Download Panel. It all looks SO good.
We have updated Vivaldi’s Download Panel to show more than a file’s download details. Now it boasts an informative graph showing your download speed over time, along with new buttons that make it easier to restart downloads or find downloaded files on your system.
In addition, key statistics are bolded, so you can monitor your downloads at a glance. Access the Download Panel here.
The Idle API. No longer a privacy bother.
Google recently introduced the Idle Detection API that can be used by sites to determine if a user has not interacted with the device or specific hardware, such as the keyboard or the mouse, or through certain system events.
Since this API can be abused for behavioral tracking, we think it is unfair for users to be expected to understand the privacy implications of allowing a website to use it. Therefore, this setting has been disabled by default on both desktop and Android. Unlike Chrome, Vivaldi does not let the website even ask; their requests are denied by default. However, you can override this default in the settings if desired.
108 languages on Vivaldi Translate.
We launched Vivaldi Translate, powered by Lingvanex, to give you a better alternative for quickly translating websites without the need for third-party extensions that spy on you.
And within a few months of the launch of Vivaldi Translate, we are delivering a solid upgrade to its language set, taking the total number to 108.
With an addition of 68 new languages, more people worldwide can access the web in their languages, read translated web pages and selected texts — safely and securely. Lingvanex’s translation engine is hosted on Vivaldi’s servers in Iceland. No third-party servers are involved.
Fine-tuning Vivaldi Mail, Calendar, and Feed Reader (Beta)
We continue to work hard on improving Vivaldi Mail, Calendar, and Feed Reader, because we believe you deserve a better alternative to Big Tech’s offerings.
- Cool and more private!: The Mail and Calendar OAuth login has been changed to be specific to Mail and Calendar and is no longer shared with the main browser. So, when you choose to use the built-in Vivaldi mail client to access Gmail, you are no longer logged into all Google services, such as YouTube. This means you can use a service like Gmail, but it makes it harder for Google to track you across the internet.
Another no-track tip: Follow your favorite YouTube channels, without logging into Google, with our built-in Feed Reader to subscribe to channels and view videos directly. Go ahead, try it now by visiting Vivaldi’s YouTube channel and adding it as a feed.
- Drag and Drop fun: You can now add attachments by dragging them into the Vivaldi Mail window.
Get your PWA on.
Vivaldi now has support for PWAs (Progressive Web Apps). These apps allow you to save selected pages as independent “applications” that can be launched with their desktop shortcut and run in their own window.
On pages that support running as a PWA, there is a new “Install [website]” option on the right-click (context) tab menu. To uninstall, use the “⋮” menu in the PWA window to access the option (or you can uninstall PWAs via vivaldi://apps.)
For sites that do not support being a full PWA, the “Create shortcut” option in the right-click tab menu can work similarly to PWAs. Just remember to tick ‘Open as a Window”.
Must. Download. Vivaldi 4.3. Now
With improvements to every aspect of the browser, we hope the new version makes you happy. We value your feedback. Please give it a spin, and let us know what you think. For more details, head over to the changelog.
Changelog from 4.2 to 4.3
- [New][Capture] Improve UI for Capture (VB-82126)
- [New][Chains] Switch to theme by name (VB-81508)
- [New][Downloads][Panels] UI improvements for download panel details (VB-81160)
- [New][PWA] Enable PWA support (VB-82920)
- [New][Privacy] Block idle detection API by default (VB-83244)
- [New][Sync][Settings] Implement new Sync Settings UI (VB-74368)
- [New][Translate] Add support for more languages (VB-82864)
- [Address bar] Paste and go crash in Private Window with chrome URL (VB-82951)
- [Address bar][Crash] Pressing the key icon in popup’s address bar (VB-80953)
- [Address bar][Translate] Off screen popup (VB-81096)
- [Address bar][Translate] The language list in the dropdown is too wide (VB-82900)
- [Address bar][macOS] Already up to date message appears when no manual check for update has been done (VB-83185)
- [Bookmarks] Bar extender button clipped outside window in bookmarks bar (VB-63811)
- [Capture] Clicking the Status/title bar allows moving of window (VB-82880)
- [Capture][Keyboard] Fullpage with Alt modifier on capture Button (VB-82608)
- [Chains][Settings] Command button and dragOver styling broken (VB-83015)
- [Chromium] Upgraded to 94.0.4606.72
- [Linux] Update signing keys inside the packages
- [Linux] XPM files used by the Debian menu system show a very old logo
- [Linux][Media] Update proprietary codecs to 95.0.4638.17-104195
- [macOS] Window chrome update (VB-83120)
- [macOS][Keyboard] Can not close developer tools window using keyboard (VB-13452)
- [Menus][Settings] Command list search fails (VB-82732)
- [Privacy] “Save Browsing History” set to “Session Only” should also apply to closed tabs/windows (VB-34217)
- [Quick Commands][Translate] Missing (VB-83386)
- [Search] Add suggest URL for Neeva (VB-83000)
- [Tabs] Closing a stack’s popup thumbnail does not remove it from the visual popup (VB-82762)
- [Tabs] Popup thumbnails arrange horizontally instead of vertically (VB-82946)
- [Tabs] Selection is incorrect after creating a tab in second level tab stack (VB-83076)
- [Tabs][Performance] Fewer avoidable re-renders when opening and closing tabs (VB-82798)
- [User Agent] Add Neeva to list of sites with Vivaldi returned (VB-83305)
Mail, Calendar, FeedReader (Beta)
- [New][Mail Beta][Calendar Beta] Separate logins for Google accounts from the browser (VB-69098)
- [New][Mail Beta][Windows][Linux] Add support for Drag and Drop of attachments (VB-76643)
- [New][Mail Beta] Improve UI for status dialog (VB-82806)
- [New][Calendar Beta] Show logs in status dialog (VB-82446)
- [Calendar Beta] Add as CalendarEvent from mail shows garbage URL (VB-79406)
- [Calendar Beta] Can not delete web calendar (VB-82753)
- [Calendar Beta] Cannot access all available calendars when the dialog is close to the bottom of the window/screen (VB-82528)
- [Calendar Beta] Can’t sync Fastmail calendar (VB-77873)
- [Calendar Beta] Changing default calendar changes some events colors (VB-82563)
- [Calendar Beta] Changing event timezone to “Use Current Timezone” changes time (VB-83022)
- [Calendar Beta] Filter out some less useful/ambiguous timezones (VB-83069)
- [Calendar Beta] Hover tooltip does not show the same time as an event (VB-83019)
- [Calendar Beta] Improvements in the styling of New Calendar dialog (VB-82879)
- [Calendar Beta] It should not be possible to set web calendar as default (VB-82721)
- [Calendar Beta] Name can be saved empty despite the real name (VB-82717)
- [Calendar Beta] Prevent header scrolling out of view (VB-82401)
- [Calendar Beta] Recurring all-day task is set at December 31st, 1969 (VB-83164)
- [Calendar Beta] Show notification for events that happened while the browser was not running (VB-63955)
- [Calendar Beta] Task created in synced GMail calendar shows one day too early in phone calendar app (VB-82524)
- [Calendar Beta] Update calendar color in calendar overview (VB-78670)
- [Calendar Beta][CalDAV] Due date not set on tasks when synced (VB-82821)
- [Calendar Beta][Linux] Importing ICS fails for some users (VB-83401)
- [Calendar Beta][Panels] Clicking on ‘Today’ does not scroll and select the first event of today (VB-80246)
- [Feeds Beta] Subscription dialog appears in wrong windows (VB-82945)
- [Feeds Beta] Import Feeds from OPML file (VB-83275)
- [Mail Beta] Linkify address domains with a hyphen in them (VB-82690)
- [Mail Beta] Make possible to search with from/to/cc emails start with (VB-82699)
- [Mail Beta] Offline accounts try to connect (VB-82312)
- [Mail Beta] Put all parts of the saved filter in the search string (VB-82482)
- [Mail Beta] Query missing in the search field when pressing filters (VB-82680)
- [Mail Beta] Status popup in status bar partly hidden (VB-83224)
- [Mail Beta] The count of new unread messages shows unread +1 (VB-80782)
- [Mail Beta][Crash] Clicking the mail status bar icon sometimes causes Vivaldi to turn grey (VB-83099)
- [Mail Beta][Menus] Add menus for mail header and mail content (VB-83163)