Today we are launching a new upgrade to our desktop version – Vivaldi 2.8.
We’re always focused on giving you complete control over your desktop experience, while also making sure to protect your privacy and security online.
Vivaldi on the desktop has been our foundation. And now – our inspiration. It continuously pushes us forward to deliver a browser that is made for you.
According to Wired, we’ve already created an impact on providing a new option in the world of desktop browsing.
“With a variety of innovative features, from mouse gesture navigation to tab grouping, it’s already established a reputation as a viable browser alternative on the desktop.”
Recently, Vivaldi browser debuted on Android to worldwide acclaim. There has been a phenomenal response to our beta version across the globe.
The global reaction reaffirms our mission. There is a need for a reliable and efficient alternative both on desktop and mobile, not one that’s watered down.
We build it. You own it.
Vivaldi’s solid foundation gives you features that are tailored specifically around your needs in browsing. The biggest news, of course, is that you can now take Vivaldi – and your Bookmarks and Speed Dials, saved passwords and autofill information, History (with only typed URLs), Notes – with you everywhere.
Vivaldi’s Sync functionality lets you synchronize your browsing data between installations of Vivaldi on other devices and Vivaldi on Android.
During the past several months, we’ve been refining Vivaldi to ensure it delivers the best possible experience. With our new version, you can expect further improvements across the board, which you’ll feel as you navigate the desktop application. We’ve tinkered with the internal workings, squashed some long-standing bugs and polished some rough edges.
Overall, you’ll find the newest version of Vivaldi a lot snappier and more efficient. Vivaldi 2.8 has improvements that will enable you to work faster, and each second saved will give you more time to get your work done.
Building great products is a team sport, and we’re grateful for your help in building our browsers. Keep the feedback coming! If you haven’t already, check out our Beta version of Vivaldi for Android and download Vivaldi 2.8 on your desktop below.
Here’s what TechCrunch has to say,
“Vivaldi on Android is a worthwhile contender. It’s fast and easy to use — and if you’re already using Vivaldi on the desktop, it’s a no-brainer.”
And here’s a detailed changelog:
Changelog from 2.7 to 2.8
•[New][Bookmarks] Add keyboard navigation to bookmark menu bar (VB-55365)
• [New][Bookmarks] Manager columns width should be resizable (VB-2238)
• [New][Bookmarks][Menu] Add support for hovering across horizontal menu or the bookmarks bar (VB-14300)
• [New][Keyboard] Toggle images via keyboard: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I / ⌥⌘I (VB-12944)
• [Address bar] Can not remove items from the typed history (VB-57319)
• [Address bar] Colon and a space in a search string would trigger navigation (VB-48208)
• [Address bar] Dot and a space in a search string would trigger navigation (VB-54990)
• [Address bar] Field contents not aligned (VB-55952)
• [Address bar] Pressing Esc doesn’t select the original URL (VB-56040)
• [Address bar] Searching for http(s) was not possible (VB-56567)
• [Address bar] Shift-Del on drop-down not working reliably (VB-54086)
• [Address bar][Bookmarks] Names in multi-byte characters don’t get autocompleted (VB-55925)
• [Bookmarks] Can’t tell folders and bookmarks apart when bar is set to „text only“ (VB-50511)
• [Bookmarks] Cannot create a bookmark with Enter key (VB-55841)
• [Bookmarks] Custom folder images set in Speed Dial are not visible in panel and manager (VB-56657)
• [Bookmarks] Editor doesn’t update when data changes externally (VB-56295)
• [Bookmarks] Freeze on creating a bookmark with invalid URL (VB-56459)
• [Bookmarks] The spacing on the bar is too wide (VB-56989)
• [History] Bad header highlight when holding mouse button on Date column (VB-36954)
• [History] The number of selected files are not shown with select „All“ option (VB-38739)
• [History] View search field not focused (VB-55981)
• [IME] Pressing Space and Delete evokes autocomplete (VB-57300)
• [Keyboard] Shift + F3 + hold Cycle broken (VB-54334)
• [macOS] ⌥ (Option)-Clicking window does not minimize all windows (VB-51684)
• [macOS][Bookmarks] Reduce spacing in bookmark bar context menu (VB-55983)
• [macOS][Fullscreen] Top part gets hidden by showing menu in Native Window mode (VB-46868)
• [macOS][IME] Pressing Delete after a space selects the whole text (VB-57355)
• [macOS][Quick Commands] Nothing happens when you try to quit (VB-52752)
• [Reader] Often removes the author and date (VB-55220)
• [Spatial Navigation] Use Shift+Arrows with the Chromium/Blink implementation (VB-55775)
• [Speed Dial] New default bookmarks replace user defined folder (VB-56416)
• [Sync][Notes] Duplication: To benefit from the change, all synced clients must include this fix (VB-57285)
• [User Profiles] Chromium logo in the management dialog (VB-54643)
• [User Profiles] Warn when deleting the active profile (VB-54512)
• [Windows] Pin to Taskbar breaks shortcut (VB-52406)
• [Windows][Keyboard] Add support for F10 with the menu bar (VB-57235)
• [Windows][macOS] Vivaldi does not check if it is the default browser on startup (VB-55597)
• [Sounds] Manually muted tab becomes unmuted when it becomes active (VB-56457)
• [Crash] Ticking ‚Block ads on abusive sites‘ with private window open crashes (VB-56994)
• [Zoom] Page zoom rate doesn’t always follow your default setting (VB-56833)
• [Zoom] controls inactive after tab reloads (VB-53720)
• Prevent restart loop if UI dies quickly (VB-51539)
• [Welcome page] Sync subpage in Private window stuck at „Getting current status…“ (VB-43213)
• Simpler UI for crash recovery (VB-56704)
• Upgraded Chromium to 77.0.3865.78