We presented a tracking blocker in our previous snapshot. In the current one we introduce the complete version of built-in ad blocker as it is the most requested feature by our users.
Now Vivaldi Mobile has built-in ad blocking capabilities and anti-tracking technology. The options you can select from are ‘No Blocking’, ‘Block Trackers’ or ‘Block Trackers and Ads’.
You can choose one of the settings above for all sites you visit or you can adjust it from the shield icon on a site by site basis. Managing blocking level per site can happen from ‘Settings’ – ‘Tracker and Ad Blocking’ or from the shield icon in the URL field.
Take a look at the changelog for a full overview of the changes and let us know what you think.
Differences to Beta/Final
The purpose of these snapshots is to allow our users a chance to preview upcoming changes, and to help us ensure the quality of our latest fixes and improvements, before we add them to a Beta (or Final). If you would prefer something that was already widely tested, stick with the main Vivaldi Android package (currently in Beta).
When testing a Snapshot, it is a good idea to review the changelog (below). Try out the changes and let us know your thoughts in the comments section or directly in the Play Store. When commenting in the Play Store, remember that it is helpful to mention the version you were testing with.
We are currently offering Snapshots from the Play Store.
Sometimes there might be a delay after a snapshot blog post goes live, while updates are rolled out via the Play Store. If you don’t want to wait, or you do not use the Play Store on your device, we also offer .apk files for manual installation.
Alternative Downloads (1864.3)
Manually installed files can be updated from the Play Store at a later date, provided you installed the one that is most appropriate for your device. If you are not sure which one is right for you, simply install Droid Hardware Info [Alt], switch to the ‘System’ Tab and look at the ‘Instruction Sets’ line.
- [New] Tracking and ad blocker UI VB-58950
- [Regression] Blank captures VB-63091
- [Regression] Bottom panel above the keyboard VB-64310
- [Regression] Crash on trying to open a note folder VB-64593
- [Regression] Empty margin at the top of simplified view web pages VB-63139
- [Regression] Notes trash suggests creating a note VB-64390
- [Regression] Search suggestions don’t go away after searching in private window VB-64285
- [Regression] UI shifts while swiping on the address bar to change tabs VB-64451
- [Bookmarks][Notes]Select all menu item added VB-64206
- [Panels] Delete icon in every panel after swiping from history panel VB-64379
- [Speed Dial] Messy alignment in small dials mode VB-64522
- [Tablet] No way to go from regular to private tabs VB-64375
- [Tabs] Adjust size of the tabs and make a better fade VB-64256
- [Tabs] Adjust theme colors in Dark UI with Tab Strip enabled VB-64364
- [UI] Remove bottom bar in landscape VB-63979
- [UI] Remove drop shadows from top and bottom navigation VB-64982
- Upgraded Chromium to 81.0.4044.74
Main photo by Leon Seibert.